Sunday 10 October 2010

In for Some Legacy Starcraft Fixing?

The other day I tried to start up Starcraft: Brood War. No I'm not insane, I just wanted to see how far we'd come. Turns out a whole lot, everything looks crappy when it ain't 1080p (!)
Anyway, since I'm on Windows 7, I knew it couldn't go smoothly, and lo and behold I was right (Again!). The colors were all messed up.

Now if you're interested in fixing this there're two solutions:
1- Get Chaos Launcher and launch it in a window (Hate this, so Google it if you really wanna try it)

2- Create a batch file (right click anywhere in the SC:BW directory, new>text document, change open it, type the commands and save, then change extension from .txt to .bat) with these commands in it:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
starcraft.exe
start c:\windows\explorer.exe

Basically what this does is kill explorer (windows file explorer, that is) and launches SC, so no desktop effects will affect it. Then launches explorer right back up as soon as you quit SC.

Hope it helps!

32 comments:

  1. Mm I hear what your sayin about anything but 1080p sucks. My 24" monitor died on me so until I can order a new one im stuck using my old crt :( siighh. PAY DAY COME FASTER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats why you play with a CRT ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tip i've seen this happen and didn't know how to fix it. nice blog, you got a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chaos Launcher is brilliant. SC1 still has its own unique charms, just like diablo 2 will always has its own.
    I approve of this article! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the older games always hold a twinge of nostalgia in my heart. Following for nostalgia lane. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doing my daily round, and mate, thanks for the chaos launcher, i was just looking for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wahts the chaos launcher do? can u leave the answer in my comments

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just re-started playing Diablo II and I had similar problems. I'm sticking with a launcher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It clearly helps ! thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
  10. SC2 would be a better idea. Thanks for the info, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet blog! Check mine out!
    lifeformation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's pretty clever
    works fine on XP though so it's good =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool blog man, I'm following and supporting you also =)

    I'd appreciate a click back at http://benny-lava.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I had infinate funds I'd get the Starcraft 2 Collectors Edition, comes with a USB drive with Starcraft 1.

    Sadly I do not! :P

    www.thefactsofvidya.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ya thats the same reason I'll use windows Xp until the sun dies. Its the bestest ever!

    World of Warcraft Cheats @
    http://www.blizzardhacks.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Starcraft has been working pretty well for me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. cool, I really need to find my old starcraft

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll see if it works! I loved BW

    ReplyDelete
  19. This really works thanks! So happy playing star craft again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah man nice blog. Gaming's always a good thing. Would be happy if you'd follow me on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the batch file trick really did i for my game, thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome, does it work on other gameS?

    ReplyDelete